Tuesday 1 April 2014

Starting to create work

To begin my project I wanted to this time experiment with working with a new medium. I chose this time to take the casting elective with Ang as I haven't had much opportunity to learn much so far about casting. Sculpture is a medium that I feel I can really get my teeth into and get involved with.

Using my sewn skeleton design that I created during first term as a template I decided to go on to create a clay sculpture replica of the skeleton head. My original aim was to cast the clay skull after creating it, and make plaster replicas of the original, decorated with symbols of youth culture, such as fake eyelashes, lipstick, big eyebrows etc.

After a group tutorial session we reviewed this idea. Due to my aim being to demonstrate the animalistic qualities in people the feedback was that using a human skull was the wrong way to go about the representation. Feedback tended to take the view that I should be using an animal representation instead.

I found this feedback to be really useful for me, and steered me in the right direction to think about my work and the fact I was being too literal.

I now want to move on by instead casting animal body parts and experimenting with those.


Clay sculpture skeleton head:

No comments:

Post a Comment